Popular Post

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Random Wednesday - Let's Talk About Cats

What to ramble about this Wednesday?
I'm glad that tomorrow is my Friday. I've been finding it hard to get out of bed this week! The rain we've been having has been putting me in a deep, trance-like sleep every night, and it's hard for me to wake in the mornings. I'm looking forward to this weekend to do some more relaxing, sleeping, and movie watching.
So on a different note, I think I will be getting another feline friend =) I've been thinking about how I'm currently leaving my cat at home alone for upwards of 11 hours a day - eek!! I feel bad even typing that ... What could she possibley be doing each day other than going crazy with boredom? ...And she has been acting a little off lately. The last few nights she hasn't slept on my bed like she usually does, she's been meowing constantly, and she never wants to be held or cuddled. I'm hoping that bringing a young kitten into her life to befriend while I'm at work will help cheer her up.
When I first had the urge to get a cat, I visited the Cat Fanciers Association website (the official international association for "cat people") and started browsing through pictures of all the different types of cats. I couldn't believe how many different breeds there were! I of course fell in love with one of the most expensive breeds - a long haired, fluffy, teddybear-like, ragdoll. I started browsing local classified ads, pet websites and stores, and quickly learned that ragdolls can sell for as much as $700.00. Umm ... Excuse me? The shocking part is, I was actually ready to pay that much ... until my mom told me of a 4 year old mixed breed domestic short hair who's owner was relocating to a retirement centre and wouldn't be able to bring BB along. At first I said, no. I wanted a kitten, and an adorable fluffball at that. Then I reconsidered. I'd heared what happens at animal shelters when the cats haven't found a home ... I went to the lady's apartment "just to see" what BB was like .... Right. I left with her about ten minutes later and neither of us have looked back since.
Now that it's time to get her a friend, I have decided to get a kitten, but again I'll be adopting one of the less fortunate variety . The Meow Foundation takes in strictly stray and abandoned cats, but they have a small variety of kittens as well. For a small adoption fee of $175, I'll have a kitten that is spayed, registered, and fully vaccinated. I'm looking forward to getting my new kitty the week of Sept. 3. I have that week off, and it will give me time to introduce her to BB, and to get to know her myself. I'll be sure to post lots of pictures also =)

If you're thinking of getting a cat, please don't visit a breeder and spend an obscene amount of money on a "designer" cat! Not that those cats don't deserve love and attention, but there are so many more unwanted cats out there that deserve it just as much. There is a serious cat population problem, and you can get one just as cute and lovable for free. Hundreds of cats are euthanized each day just because there are no owners to claim them and care for them. And please please please, have you cat spayed or neautered! (And if you already know all of this, forgive me for being preachy!)

The Ragdoll: Beautiful, expensive, and highly saught after
The Domestic Shorthair: More common, often free, but just as cuddley and deserving of your love!

No comments:

Post a Comment