Popular Post

Friday, December 11, 2009

A Princess, A Frog, and Weekend Wishes

Is anyone as excited as I am to see Disney's The Princess and the Frog? I am so thrilled at their reversion back to pencil drawings in bringing this beloved fairy tale to life. The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Aladdin - these were happy-childhood staples that I see huge similarities to in the previews for Princess. Classic sketches, almond-shaped-eyed heroines, and catchy soundtracks are what I loved the most about vintage Disney, and they're all here again! Cinderella is still my favorite; I baught the special edition dvd, and even have the sequels! Hopefully sometime over my Christmas break I will get to catch these new pages of the old book. Let me know how it is if you've already seen it!



In Other News ...



I saw Brothers last night, starring Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhal, and Natalie Portman. What can I say? It was different than I had expected, but I still felt rewarded by the time the credits rolled. I'm a sucker for intense performances, and I wasn't dissapointed in that respect. I feel the storyline and plot could have been streamlined to create a more coherent theme, but the acting was second to none. I will take solid performances with weakness in plot over shoddy acting and a tight line anyday. I'm enchanted with thespians who don't act, but become. This is the reason I adore such movies as Revolutionary Road and Memoirs of a Geisha; while the plots are shaky, the acting and camera shots are elements I could view repeatedly. The intense fight between Winslet and Dicapprio in Road was nothing short of remarkable, and I could contentedly set that scene on repeat. I love feeling a sense of passion while watching actors on screen; seeing them completely and believabley lash out before me is strangely therapeutic. Maguire's performance braught just such remedy, and was revolutionary for the cookie cutter super- hero. He shone without the promise of special effect to overshadow potential performance weakness.

The overall theme of this movie is the perril of War; the way it rips families apart for generations. The kinship of the two brothers was merely touched upon. I would recomend it if you can appreciate strong acting, and enjoyabley depart from a blatent theme. Think Rachel Getting Married, Love Happens, and Revolutionary Road.


With That Said ..

Have a great weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment