Popular Post

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cheer Up, Buttercup =)



What do you do when you need to cheer yourself up? Do you have any old stand-bys? Here, in particular no order, are the things I do when I need a little pick-me-up after a rough day/week/month:


-Shamelessly indulge in lots and lots of reality tv. This is sure to make you realize that things could be much, much worse than they actually are. Shows of choice are My Strange Addiction, Toddlers & Tiaras, Jersey Shore and The Bachelor. Instant reminder that hey, my life is pretty damn good after all.


-Give myself permission to sleep in as long as I want. On the weekend of course, when I don't have to be at work. Because one thing that would be worse would be getting myself fired for not showing up! On the weekend though, I love to turn off my alarm clock, pull the covers up, and have nowhere to be but right there in my warm and toasty bed.


-Go Shopping. Of course this is cliche, but it's called retail therapy for a reason. Even if it's just window shopping, I love poking around shops aimlessly. My favorite is makeup shopping, I could do it for hours. Whether its Sephora or Shoppers Drug Mart, I always love swatching makeup and picking up a few treats for myself. I also love bookstores and could spend hours in there.


-Watch old crappy horror movies. To get me laughing of course. There is nothing funnier than seeing how silly they used to (and still quite often are)be. This is better if I can do it with someone else, someone who doesn't mind me rewinding the worst parts to laugh at over and over again.


-Go out for my favorite meal. For me this is sushi, and I had it on Tuesday night. I love my sushi, and the fact it's not calorie loaded also cheers me up


-Surround myself with visually appealing things. For me this means "cute", but for you it could be intriguing, mysterious, serene, etc. I love anything kawaii, so this and Japanese mag scans always lift my spirits!


-Surround myself with a trusted support system. There are people who will genuinely care for you and what you're going through, and then there are people who will pretend to care but will be secretly delighting in your misfortune.(Sounds sinister, I know, but it's quite true) So know who the real ones are, and lean on them accordingly, even if it's only one person. These are the people who usually help the most.


-Read some inspirational quotes. They always make me feel better. There were/are a lot of wise people on this earth who's words truly transcend time. Click Here if you're so inclined.


I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday, I'm sure I will devote this weekend to doing ALL of the above and then some!

So, what do you do to cheer up?

No comments:

Post a Comment