Popular Post

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Singin' The Winter Blues

I'm Here:



& I want to be here:


For now it will be this:
And my Canadian winter LIFESAVERS:





Yes, there are many who hate on UGGS, calling them ugly crosses between galoshes and slippers. The fact is, they are warm, toasty, comfy, and (I find) CUTE.
In order to survive the harsh Canadian winters, I've learned to appreciate them. They are worth their weight in GOLD.
***

K ... I'm honestly SO DONE with winters in Calgary, and it's only the first real week of winter we have had. I don't ski. I don't snowboard. I don't snow shoe. I was meant to be a sun baby, born in a HOT place! You'd think being born and raised in Winnipeg, the coldest city in the world with a population of over 600,000, (I'm sure there are little hamlets in Siberia that reach lower temperatures), and living in Calgary for the rest of my life, I would have somewhat adjusted.

Nope. Every year, when the temperature makes it's first drastic drop, I'm left asking myself WHY? Why was civilization formed here?

In the spring/summer I forget all about it, and quite enjoy where I reside, but I'm thinking for SURE I will not be living here for the majority of my life.

The winters are just.too. much. (For Me)



Yesterday - an hour and a half commute to work on the skating rinks.

Today - c train to work, since we thought it would faster, but no heat and blasts of ice cold air everytime the door opens, plus people reaking of cigs, booze and filth. Plus blasts of sharp snow in my eyes as I walk into work.

There's no winning with getting to work in the winter. You're either 3 hours late or on time but severly shaken from the nut job who sat next to you on the way in.


I wish we could just up and move, but with Ryan's job (oil and gas geologist) the places we can move are limited.

Houston/Dallas is one of the only options in north America..

But I would SO move to Texas in a heartbeat, even though I said I never would want to. At least they don't get this weather.

Thanks for reading my rant dolls, and I promise my next post will be happier..



But I'm sad to say that I won't be able to devote as much time to blogging for the next while.

I have to double up my course load starting in January, so I'll pretty much be studying and working full time.

Plus wedding planning.

Plus making sure my place is spotless for showings. (Was cleaning and patching things up all last night and didn't make it to the gym).

It's going to be hard, but I need to just bang everything out asap so that hopefully one day soon I can in fact realize my dream of escaping the cold. Or at least moving downtown by mid winter.

I'll try and update as much as possible still.


No comments:

Post a Comment